The Public Interest Technology Data Science Corps (PIT-DSC) is accepting applications for the 2021 Undergraduate Research Experience (URE) program. The PIT-DSC program, a collaboration between Columbia University and Lehman College, will focus on research questions that have obvious societal impact. Project ideas will be provided by New York City agencies. 10 Columbia University and 10 Lehman College undergraduate interns will work together in teams on data science projects that focus on improving the lives of New York City residents in underserved communities.
What We Offer You
Each PIT Data Science intern will receive a stipend of $5,000, participate in an array of weekly learning and social activities, work in a team environment, and receive mentoring from faculty and graduate students.
- Columbia-Lehman Data Science Corps Interns will participate in the following activities:
- Lehman Bootcamp: June 2-4
- Lehman – Columbia Data Science Bootcamp: June 7-11
- PIT Data Science Project: June 14 – August 6 (20 hours a week, approx).
- The URE program will be virtual. Depending on Covid-19 restrictions, the final project showcase in August will potentially be an in-person or hybrid event at the Lehman College campus.
Who Are You?
- We are looking for students who have an interest in using their data science skills to create a positive societal impact.
- Experience with statistical software (e.g., R) or programming languages (e.g., Python) is required.
- Undergraduate students from Columbia University, Barnard College, and Lehman College who will graduate after August 2021 are eligible to apply.
Application Materials and Deadline
- A statement (500-word max) addressing two key questions: Why are you interested in this program? AND What is some problems in NYC’s underserved communities that are important to you?
- Deadline: April 15th, 2021. Selected applicants will be notified by May 3, 2021.
Undergraduate students from Columbia University and Barnard College, please apply here.
Undergraduate students from Lehman College, please apply here.