Adjunct FAQ

Adjunct Professor Information

Adjunct Application Instructions

Those looking to teach as an adjunct professor within Columbia’s Department of Statistics should visit and review our website for more information on the application process. Adjuncts who are offered an opportunity to teach with us must allow at least one month for the employment process; if a J1 Visa is required, allow at least three months.

All applications must be made through Columbia University’s Academic Search and Recruiting (ASR) system. Please upload the following required materials: CV, a short statement on teaching interest and teaching philosophy, sample teaching materials (optional), and up to two names of references (optional). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The Summer 2024 application deadline is Feb 1, 2024.

Getting Started

Below is information to support adjunct professors as they join the Columbia University Department of Statistics community. The information provides brief details on the departmental hiring process, establishing a UNI and acquiring a University ID, building access, and campus maps, course and classroom scheduling, textbooks, supplies and copies.

Hiring Processes

Once your course is registered and posted, Dood Kalicharan, Director for Administration and Finance (DAAF), will incorporate the course title, schedule, and the class caps into the formal offer letter. The offer letter will be sent out by our DAAF, along with other hiring documents. Please sign and return all required documents as promptly as possible.

Columbia University Network ID (UNI)

Upon hire, your Columbia UNI is assigned. Activation of a UNI can be initiated from the Account Activation site, which also sets up the Columbia email (follows the form of Email aliases can also be created to make email more user friendly.

Columbia University ID (CUID) Card

The CUID Card is your passport to Columbia. It grants you access to the Library and secure campus locations, allows you to purchase services at campus cafes and the University bookstore, and enables you to take advantage of cultural discount programs in New York City.

Get a Columbia ID card Student Service Center at the University ID Center in 111A Uris Hall. Of special note, students, Faculty, and staff are now REQUIRED to upload ID photos prior to coming to Uris Hall to obtain their ID Cards. Photos cannot be taken at the ID center.

Building Access

The CUID Card facilitates authorized access to secured University locations including all academic buildings, the gym, libraries, and residence halls where applicable. For issues related to access to University Facilities, visit the Public Safety Building Access page. For additional information, please call 212-854-8500 or visit the Public Safety ID Office located in Room 111A Low Library.

You will be given swipe access to the entrance doors of the School of Social Work by the Department of Statistics. Please apply for swipe access for individual offices and labs through Dood Kalicharan, the Statistics Department DAAF.

Campus Maps

For those newly joining the Columbia University community, you may need information to help navigate our campuses. Please visit the Public Safety Maps & Schedules page for helpful maps and building hours concerning the Morningside Campus (and Mahattanville and Medical Center Campuses).

Course and Classroom Scheduling

The Departmental DAAF and ADDA will create your course in our online scheduling system. Within 24 hours of being scheduled, your course will be listed in the SSOL class scheduling system and the University Directory of Classes, which you can access using your UNI.

Textbooks, Supplies and Copies

Contact Janice Coston, Administrative Assistant, to order textbooks and desk copies. All textbooks must be returned before the last day of the semester. Please post textbook information online, allowing enough time so students can get the textbooks needed for the course. To do so, log into CourseWorks, which provides a tool for this purpose. Note that Federal law requires that the University provide students with information on the textbooks their instructors expect or recommend that they purchase.

Janice Coston will provide support with ordering and supplying supplies required for your course, such as blue books and general office and classroom supplies. You may inquire about any additional needs through Janice, as well. She will also provide support with your copying needs, which typically consists of exam copies.

Instructional Technology

All adjunct professors will be given access to relevant University instructional technology resources. The information provides brief details on the permission to access technology resources and services, as well as a primer on Columbia terminology and systems.

Multifactor Authentication
Set up Duo Multifactor Authentication service to verify your identity for Columbia’s centralized applications. With Duo, you can use a mobile app, or a phone call to authenticate. Duo can be combined with other authentication factors like username and password authentication to create multifactor authentication. Most people use Duo via the mobile app, Duo Mobile, which runs on a variety of smartphones and tablets.

Virtual Private Network (VPN)

Most of Columbia’s systems can be accessed directly in your web browser without using VPN. Columbia U Secure wi-fi eliminates the need to use VPN while on campus to access Columbia administrative resources.

Additionally, access to Statistical, Financial, Human Resource, Course Management, Administrative, Enterprise Business Intelligence Solutions and Microsoft applications are available from off-campus. Some applications are accessed via a web browser, some require a secure VPN connection to the Columbia network.

With a VPN connection, faculty and staff can access Columbia’s network, systems, file shares, email servers and all administrative and school applications that they can access from their office desktop computer.

Systems and Technology Terminology

UNI A unique Columbia-wide ID that is based on your initials and random numbers, which is used to access CourseWorks, salary payment, ID card, swipe access, etc.

CourseWorks (aka Canvas) – Columbia University’s online course system for managing course materials, class meetings, assignments, and student collaborations. CourseWorks, which you access with your UNI, is accessible to both faculty and students.

Piazza – A private-company Web tool for communicating with students. Though more limited than CourseWorks–Piazza does not post homework or test grades, for example–some professors prefer it for communicating with students, who can post questions anonymously and where all students can see discussions.

Slack – The Statistics Department uses Slack, a messaging app that connects people to the information they need, which you can find and join here. Slack allows you to message anyone inside or outside your course and/or department and collaborate as you would in person. You can work in dedicated spaces, known as channels. Information can be shared with individuals or everyone at once. Slack offers some great resources to help you get acclimated, including an overview of the platform and a video demonstration.

Student Services Online (SSOL) – A web-based, multi-purpose tool used mostly by students to register for classes, view bills, and update addresses. Adjuncts use SSOL to check who is registered in their classes and currently on a waitlist and also use it to post grades at the end of the class.

Teaching and Grading

As a Department, we strive to provide all instructors with instructional support. One of the many ways we manage support for instructors is by hiring instructional technology support staff in the form of Teaching Assistants and Graders.

Graduate Teaching Assistants (TAs) and Graders

If one has not already been designated for you, apply for a teaching assistant and/or grader for your class. Larger lecture courses may have more than one Teaching Assistant assigned, as well as several graders. For questions regarding TAs and Graders, including any TA/Grader issues or concerns, contact the TA/Grader Support Lead, ADAA, Cindy Meekins.


Final grades are uploaded to SSOL. All grades must be official (interim grades are not permitted) and must conform to the grading schema of the student’s school and the University. For more on grading, see the Web Grading Guide or refer to the Guide to Web Grading on SSOL. Note that once grades are formally submitted, it is not easy to change them. You can enter grades directly into SSOL, or you can upload them in one of two ways.

Grading and CourseWorks

Uploading grades directly from within CourseWorks/Canvas assigns equal weight to all exams and homework assignments. To assign varying weights, you must explicitly set the number of points in each case.

  1. Log into SSOL with your UNI and select Web Grading (under Faculty Services) near the bottom of the option list.
    2. Click “Upload File.”
    3. Click “Import Grades from CourseWorks” for the course you are grading.

Be sure the numerical grades in CourseWorks are translated to letter grades as intended. It is very difficult to change a grade once it is submitted.

Uploading a File

  1. Log into SSOL with your UNI and select Web Grading (under Faculty Services) near the bottom of the option list.
    2. Click “Upload File” and follow the instructions provided.

Academic Integrity

It is highly recommended that you discuss the University’s academic integrity policy in the first meeting of your class. This will provide an opportunity for students to ask questions and for you to clarify expectations. If you have questions, contact ADAA, Cindy Meekins for more information, or your faculty sponsor.

Information on the University’s Code of Academic Integrity is available through the Center for Student Success and Intervention (CSSI). Academic misconduct violates the principle of intellectual integrity that is the foundation of our institution. To violate that principle is one of the most serious offenses a student can commit. Faculty and instructors may list specific expectations on their course syllabus and examples of academic misconduct are listed in the Bulletin and policies of the schools at Columbia University. The Code of Academic Integrity applies to all academic activities and work that students conduct during their time at the University, graded or ungraded.

If you suspect an academic honesty policy violation, contact ADAA, Cindy Meekins for more information before filing any formal documents.

Useful University Policies

The University Compliance website contains basic information about and links to some key University Policies. Please note that this is not a comprehensive list of all University Policies. Other policies are listed in the University Policies Library and the Faculty Handbook. Of utmost importance is to review and abide by the Statement of Ethical Conduct and Administrative Code of Conduct.

Helpful Contacts

Departmental Contacts

For answers to questions not listed here regarding hiring and payroll, contact DAAF, Dood Kalicharan, at or visit her in SSW 1003.

For answers to questions not listed here about PhD students, and/or regarding all things academics, including but not limited to University and School policies, waitlists, TAs/Graders, academic integrity, registration, course and grading support,, contact ADAA, Cindy Meekins, at or visit her in SSW 1018.

For answers to questions not listed here about Master’s students, contact Chrissie Kong, Assistant Director for the MA Program, at, or visit her in Watson Hall, 6th Floor.

For answers to questions not listed here about undergraduate students, contact Professor Ronald Neath at, or visit him in Watson Hall, 6th Floor.

For answers to questions about facilities needs or issues, contact Anthony Cruz, Financial Assistant, at, or visit him in SSW 1005.

For questions not listed here about textbooks, supplies, and copies, contact AA, Janice Coston, at or visit her in SSW 1005.

Be Prepared: Emergency Management Contacts

Sign up for Emergency Text Message Notifications: See the instructions for students, faculty, and staff.

Plan ahead with our tips for specific kinds of emergencies.

Program these numbers ahead of time so you can call in an instant during an emergency.

Columbia University Main Telephone: 212-854-1754; This number provides information on University closures and operational changes during cases of national, regional and local emergencies.

Columbia University Public Safety: Morningside: 212-854-5555 (emergency calls) or 212-854-2797 (non-emergency) or

Columbia Health Services for Students: Morningside 212-854-2284 or x4-2284 (from a campus phone),

Frequently Asked Questions

Is parking available on the days I teach? 

Street parking is available to all, and there are some privately owned parking lots within the vicinity of the campus. For more formal parking arrangements, please contact Columbia Transportation to apply for Semester Commuter Parking for Adjunct Faculty.

Where is my office? 

If you would like to hold office hours in person, on campus, please contact Janice Coston at to request a room reservation on campus. You can request a designated room for the same time and day of the week for the entire semester, if you’d like. Or, you can request space as needed.

How do I find out where finals for my class will be held? 

Depending on scheduling, finals are sometimes held in classrooms other than the room the course is assigned to. Classroom assignments are listed in SSOL. Log in with your UNI and see Faculty Services under the Your Data section, then click on Exam List. There you will find options for the University Schedule of Exams, as well as Undergraduate and Graduate Exam information. 

How do I set up Direct Deposit? 

Access the account with your UNI and UNI password to set up the direct deposit through that site. Contact Dood Kalicharan, DAAF, if you need assistance or have questions. Direct deposit is highly recommended.

How do I know if the University is closed/closing due to inclement weather or other emergency purposes? 

Columbia faculty and staff with access to People at Columbia (PAC) can register for or opt-out of text message notifications by logging into using your UNI and password. 

Within the “View or Update Your Personal Information" section, look for the "Campus Alert" fields and add your cell phone number and those of family or friends you wish to register (up to 3 total) in the "Campus Alert 1", "Campus Alert 2" and "Campus Alert 3" fields. To opt-out, simply remove the number(s) and save. 

Keep in mind, only numbers listed under the three "Campus Alert" fields will receive emergency text messages; "Mobile" and "CU Mobile" will not.

What if I have questions about computing services? 

For questions about computing services, you are encouraged to contact Columbia University Information Technology. Their website offers a very comprehensive list of technologies and support services with which they can be of assistance. 

For more information on High Performance Computing (HPC) clusters, Ginsburg a/o Terremoto, please contact Al Tucker, Senior Systems Engineer for CUIT and the Department of Statistics, at or visit him in SSW 1005.

How do I see who is registered for my class? 

Log into either SSOL, and scroll down to Class Data, and then click on Class Roster. You may also view your roster in CourseWorks. Note that SSOL updates more quickly than CourseWorks.

What is the Change of Program Period? 

Change of Program Period is the first two weeks of the semester, during which students can add/drop courses without financial penalty. Expect to see more students attending your class than what the roster says until the end of change of program. 

I have a waiting list for my course in SSOL, but a student asked me to sign an add/drop form. Should I sign? 

If your class has a wait list in SSOL, do NOT sign the add/drop form without discussing it with ADAA, Cindy Meekins. By signing the add/drop form, you are allowing the student to bypass the waitlist process.

Note that the waitlist operates in two modes: first, by default automatic, where people from the waitlist get automatically added to the class as others drop; second, by manual mode, where you explicitly add selected students from the waitlist. The manual mode is often used to give priority to people about to graduate.

Students say they cannot register for the course as the course is restricted/blocked. What does this mean? 

Some courses are reserved for Statistics students only, and that is the most likely reason those students cannot register for the course. Contact ADAA, Cindy Meekins for more information. 

I have serious issues with the assigned classroom. What can I do? 

Contact ADAA, Cindy Meekins for more information.

A student is requesting to drop a class after the drop date. 

Registration issues such as this (or whether to allow an incomplete) are under the control of the dean of the individual school. Contact ADAA, Cindy Meekins for more information. 

Should I allow students to audit the class? 

To discuss the options here, contact ADAA, Cindy Meekins for more information.

Who do I contact with questions about different grading options (e.g., difference between CP/IN)? 

The University uses school‐specific grading scales. Most schools at Columbia University use the standard A-F grading scale. For complete information on your school's grading policies, please check your school bulletin. Questions regarding the meaning and appropriate use of grades should be sent to the dean of the relevant school.

Undergraduate students always receive traditional letter grades when taking a course outside of their school of enrollment, regardless of the grading system in use in either school. Go here for more information on Standard Grading Scales, Alternate Grading Scales, and grading for Cross Registrants. 

I have general questions about academic policy. Who should I contact? 

Contact ADAA, Cindy Meekins for more information.

How do I cancel classes in case of an emergency or inclement weather? 

Send an email to students that the class will be rescheduled for another time or made up by extending the regular classes by 15 minutes. (A list of student emails is available in SSOL through your course roster (see the option to download emails addresses into Excel at the bottom of the roster page). It is also suggested that you post a message on CourseWorks.