The MA Program is a traditional on-campus program. It may be completed full-time or part-time. International students in F-1 status must complete the program on a full-time basis within three semesters only.
- Fall (Year One) – RU
- Spring (Year One) – RU
- Students may opt to take summer courses
- Fall (Year Two) – ER
Part-time domestic students:
- Are required to take a minimum of two courses per semester and
- Complete a minimum of two RUs (Residence Units)
- Finish the program within four years of the first semester of registration.
There are evening and weekend courses/sections to accommodate students who work full-time.
MA Program Requirements
The MA program requires completion of two RUs (Residence Units) and a minimum of 30 points of graded courses. A typical course is worth three points.
Students must complete:
- Three required core courses,
- One capstone course, and
- Six elective (3-pt) courses: A minimum of three (3-pt) courses must be from the Statistics Department.
- Three (1-pt) elective courses can make up for one (3-pt) elective.
Students must receive a grade in any course that will count for graduation. Courses taken for Pass/Fail or R credit may be taken, but will not count for graduation.
Students must meet with with their assigned Faculty Adviser for approval of their study plan each semester prior to course registration. It is the responsibility of the student to meet with his or her adviser.
During the semester, students struggling academically should contact their Faculty Adviser immediately (See Good Academic Standing). Students must confer with their adviser prior to any change in their course registration.
Required: Three core courses plus one capstone course.
REQUIRED 3 CORE COURSES:
- GR5203: Probability (3 points)
- GR5204: Inference (3 points)
- GR5205: Linear Regression Models (3 points)
Most students take these three core classes in the first semester. Students with a prior background in probability and inference should take the half-semester versions of Probability and Inference. Core courses cannot be waived regardless of prior background.
In addition to the three core courses above, one capstone course is required, although students are welcome to take both.
CAPSTONE COURSE OPTIONS:
- GR5291 Advanced Data Analysis (3 points) – To be taken in the second or last semester.
- GR5242 Advanced Machine Learning (3 points) – GR5241 is the prerequisite for this course*
In addition to the four core courses, students must also complete the equivalent of at least six (3-pt) electives approved by their Faculty Adviser. At least three (3-pt) electives must be selected from the Statistics Department, upon approval by the Faculty Adviser.
- Three approved (1-pt) elective statistics courses can make up for one (3-pt) elective.
If both capstone courses are taken, then one would be counted as the capstone course and the other counted as one of the three required statistics electives.
*Data Science Sequence
For a thorough grounding in data science that is specifically designed for the students in our Statistics MA Program, it is recommended to take this sequence:
- GR5206 Statistical Computing and Introduction to Data Science: Incoming students should take this in the first semester.
- GR5241 Statistical Machine Learning (prerequisite: GR5206)
- GR5242 Advanced Machine Learning (prerequisite: GR5241) – Optional Capstone Course