Zhuoxuan Li , Xinyi Ke, Tianjiao Wang, and Yue Zhao received a departmental Travel Award to attend the JSM Conference in Portland this summer. Read about their conference experience below!

Zhuoxuan Li 

Attending the Joint Statistical Meetings (JSM) 2024 was an enriching and inspiring experience that significantly broadened my perspectives on the evolving role of statistics, particularly in the context of artificial intelligence (AI). One of the most impactful sessions I attended was the panel discussion on “Statistics in the Age of AI.” This session was particularly thought-provoking, as it aimed to stimulate an open discussion on the rapidly advancing field of AI and how it is reshaping the landscape of statistical research.

The panel featured a distinguished group of statisticians who shared their insights on how AI is empowering, challenging, and potentially transforming the field of statistics. They discussed the implications of AI for research impacts, funding, talent development, and ethical considerations. The open Q&A session that followed allowed for an engaging exchange of ideas, where participants, including myself, could share our views on some of the most pressing questions facing the statistical community. This session left me with a deeper understanding of the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead and inspired me to think critically about how I can contribute to the future of statistical research in the context of AI.

Beyond the formal sessions, JSM 2024 also provided ample opportunities for networking and social interaction. Every evening, JSM hosted social activities that allowed me to connect with professors, students, and professionals who share similar interests. These events were invaluable for building relationships with peers and mentors, many of whom I hope to collaborate with in the future.

One of the highlights of the conference was attending the University of Michigan alumni reception. It was a pleasure to reconnect with my undergraduate professors and follow up with them in person. Their encouragement and advice have always been instrumental in my academic journey, and it was gratifying to discuss my current work and future plans with them.

I also had the opportunity to meet and receive guidance from Columbia University professors and PhD students. Their kindness and willingness to share their experiences provided me with valuable advice on navigating the challenges of graduate studies and research. These interactions have deepened my appreciation for the collaborative nature of the academic community and have further motivated me to pursue my own research goals.

In summary, JSM 2024 was an inspiring and productive experience. The insights I gained from the panels, particularly on the intersection of statistics and AI, combined with the valuable connections I made, have significantly enriched my professional and academic journey. I am grateful for the opportunity to participate in such a prestigious conference and look forward to applying what I have learned to my future endeavors.

Xinyi Ke

JSM conference was an extraordinary and unforgettable experience for me, filled with valuable insights. It was a great place to meet inspiring academic leaders and connect with others who share similar interests. The conference provided a rich array of knowledge across different schools and fields, all related to statistics.

At the paper sessions, I had the opportunity to explore the discoveries of statisticians in various fields such as biology, climate science, and healthcare, etc. These sessions not only gave me a deeper understanding of their work but also offered valuable inspiration for organizing and refining my own research ideas.

JSM also featured panels with numerous academic stars, offering the chance to hear professors and researchers from top universities discuss intriguing topics. These panels covered the ways statisticians collaborate with professionals from other fields, current thinking in statistics education, and much more. This broadened my understanding of the field and provided me with clearer strategies for thinking comprehensively and working collaboratively.

Additionally, JSM offered ample opportunities for networking. I had the chance to introduce myself to professors whose work interests me and gain a more detailed understanding of their research. I also connected with PhD and master’s students from various institutions, learning about their academic journeys, research, and experiences.

In summary, JSM was an incredibly enriching experience. I learned a great deal, met many new people, and I am grateful to the Statistics Department for providing this opportunity.

Tianjiao Wang

Attending the 2024 JSM conference in Portland was an incredibly enriching experience. I was able to dive into diverse sessions, particularly those on statistical modeling and machine learning, gaining valuable insights that will undoubtedly influence my future work.

The conference also provided excellent opportunities for career advancement. I made full use of the career services, securing an onsite interview on the second day of JSM. The EXPO was a highlight, where I engaged with recruiters from various companies, exploring potential career paths and building connections that could shape my professional future. Networking was another key aspect of JSM. The first-timer orientation and various social events allowed me to connect with peers, professors, and industry leaders, fostering relationships that I hope to maintain in the long term.

I am deeply grateful to the Statistics department for supporting my participation in JSM 2024. This experience broadened my knowledge, and expanded my network. I look forward to applying what I learned as I continue my journey in this field.

Yue Zhao

Attending the Joint Statistical Meetings (JSM) 2024 was an amazing experience, especially since it was my first time at such a big statistical conference. Each day was packed with interesting sessions. I mostly attended those focused on machine learning, time series analysis, Monte Carlo methods, and Bayesian statistics, which are areas I am really interested in. I found these sessions to be very engaging and full of new ideas. They helped me understand the latest knowledge in these areas, and I enjoyed learning from the experts who presented.

One of the best parts of the conference was meeting and connecting with different experts and other attendees. I made many new friends and learned a lot from their experiences and the topics they are researching. These conversations gave me fresh perspectives and helped me see areas where I can improve.

Being exposed to advanced methods and new ideas was inspiring, but it also made me realize there is always more to learn. The conference motivated me to keep improving and staying up-to-date with what is happening in the field of statistics.

I am very thankful to the statistics department for giving me the chance to attend this conference. It was a valuable experience that I believe will help me in my future studies and career.

For students who might attend this conference in the future, my advice is to prepare in advance. Have your resume ready, look up the experts and professors you want to meet, and come ready to take full advantage of all the opportunities. Doing this will make the conference much more valuable and meaningful.

In summary, JSM 2024 was a great experience that taught me a lot and helped me grow both academically and professionally. The knowledge I gained and the people I met will be important as I continue my journey in the field of statistics.