Columbia University Graduation

Columbia University Graduation

Ceremony Dates

  • 2018 – University Commencement – Wednesday, May 16, 10:30 a.m.
  • More about Commencement

Filing for Graduation – Deadlines and Procedure

Students beginning their final semester should review the dates by which they are required to submit the application for degree.  

All current students are expected to meet and communicate with their Faculty Adviser on a regular basis to stay on track for graduation.  The MA Program Course Checklist is a helpful tool to review course requirements. 

Details about participating in  the GSAS and University graduation ceremonies can be found on the GSAS convocation webpage.  Check with ISSO about inviting international friends and family. 

Checking for Graduation Approval

Notification of graduation will be listed in SSOL:  SSOL > Academic Profile > Columbia Degrees and Specializations. 

Degrees are conferred on the:

  • Second Wednesday in February
  • Third Wednesday in May
  • Third Wednesday in October

It is the student’s responsibility to stay on track with graduation requirements, as noted on our website, and to make sure the Faculty Adviser approves course selections. 


Diplomas for graduates will be mailed to the address on file in the “Diploma Address” section of the “Addresses:  View and Update” page in SSOL.  Diplomas are mailed within two months of the graduation date. 

Inviting Friends and Family (International Students)

Information on how to invite family and friends for Graduation is HERE

Academic Certifications

If official proof of student enrollment is required by an employer or another entity, please visit the Office of the University Registrar in 204 Kent.  For academic certification, an official document provided by the University Registrar verifying your dates of attendance, award of degree, and/or student status (full-time or part-time) by semester please visit Office of the University Registrar: Certifications. Current matriculated students can request enrollment certification via SSOL.

Request for Transcripts

Inquiries for transcript requests should go to the Office of the Registrar –